Thursday, June 3, 2010
Overstock.com ($2.95 shipping on all orders)
Shopping.com (formerly DealTime)
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
As an e-commerce expert I’m always getting bombarded with questions from amateur shoppers who would love to purchase items online but lack the skills. After almost a decade of successful online shopping and believe me I do most of my shopping online, I have finally decided to write on the subject.
The following information is crucial for a successful and gratifying online shopping experience.
- Protect your personal information from identity theft, and check if you are buying from reliable sellers, Secure encrypted sites have some of the following characteristics
- The web address on the page that asks for your credit card information begins with "https:" instead of "http."
- The words "Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)"
- The picture of the unbroken key or closed lock in your browser window
- A pop up box that says you are entering a secure area.
- Paying by credit card is one of the Safest Way to shop online because most credit card issuers will cover any unauthorized charges on your credit card. For detailed information contact your credit card provider. Moreover if you are uncomfortable spreading your credit-card number around the Internet the following services are very convenient:
- Auction payment services: paypal, BidPay, etc
- Checkout services: Google Checkout, amazon, etc
If you use a credit card for purchases through any of the payment services, you get the same protections as if you paid with your card directly.
- It is always better to buy from trusted sellers but If you are considering to buy goods from unfamiliar sellers, there are ways to do some research
- Read the reviews from previous buyers
- Contact The Better Business Bureau at bbbonline.org